19 Days » Expedition to the Lost Tibetan Kingdom, Nepal
19 days / 18 nights
You can book your offer for 50% of the total amount.
According to the organizers deposit conditions limit delay, a full payment will be required for these dates.
Thursday, May 21, 2020
Please select your options to proceed.
One of the last winds of preservation of Tibetan ancestral culture in the world
THIS IS A JOURNEY/EXPEDITION THROUGH THE ANCIENT KINGDOM OF UPPER MUSTANG, A SUM OF SETTLEMENTS ON THE BORDER BETWEEN NEPAL AND TIBET, ONE OF THE LAST WINDS OF PRESERVATION OF TIBETAN ANCESTRAL CULTURE IN THE WORLD.
TO VISIT THIS KINGDOM, AT ALMOST 4 THOUSAND METERS OF ALTITUDE IN THE HIMALAYAN MOUNTAIN RANGE, IS LIKE ENTERING AN ANCIENT BOOK OF MYTHICAL TALES AND LEGENDS, TO TALK WITH ITS CHARACTERS.
THE REGION IS CONSIDERED BY RELIGIOUS SCHOLARS AND LEADERS, BUDDHISTS AND HINDUS, AS THE MOST SACRED IN NEPAL. A VALLEY THAT ENCHANTS NOT ONLY BY THE PECULIARITIES AND BEAUTY OF ITS LANDSCAPES, BUT ALSO BY THE CULTURAL AND SOCIAL LEARNING IT PROVIDES. THE VILLAGES OF MUSTHANG STILL FOLLOW, FAITHFULLY, TRADITIONS LIKE THE MARRIAGE OF A WOMAN WITH SEVERAL MEN.
IN MEDICINE, THE BELIEF THAT SICKNESS IS RELATED TO THE INFLUENCES OF EVIL SPIRITS IS PRESERVED. TRANSITING THROUGH THIS CULTURE BRINGS THE POSSIBILITY OF RELATIVIZING TRUTH, OUR BELIEFS AND THE WAY WE VIEW LIFE.
THIS IS A JOURNEY FOR ALL THOSE WHO ARE INTERESTED IN A JOURNEY THAT ALLOWS NOT ONLY THE DISCOVERY OF A NEW LANDSCAPE, BUT THE EMERGENCE OF A NEW LOOK. THE ITINERARY THRILLS!
A LONG 11-DAY TREKKING CIRCUIT, SURROUNDED BY MOUNTAINS OF ALL KINDS OF COLOURS AND FORMATIONS, WHICH INCLUDES: PASSING THROUGH BARLEY FIELDS, BUDDHIST CHORTENS ADORNED WITH PRAYER FLAGS, PASSING THROUGH RIVERS, BRIDGES, GLACIERS, THE OLDEST BUDDHIST MONASTERIES OF THE HIMALAYAS, UNTIL REACHING THE CAPITAL OF THE KINGDOM, 'THE WALLED CITY OF LO'.
OBSERVING AND TAKING CARE OF YOUR OWN BODY, WHICH IS INDISPENSABLE IN ANY WALK, BECOMES EVEN MORE RELEVANT WHEN IT COMES TO A LONG 11-DAY TREK THROUGH THIS IMMENSE, ARID AND WONDERFUL AREA OF THE HIMALAYAN MOUNTAIN RANGE.
NATURALLY, THE MOMENTS OF SILENCE EXTEND, OPENING SPACE FOR LISTENING TO ONESELF, AND FOR POSSIBLE 'INSIGHTS'. AT THE SAME TIME, THE SENSATION OF EFFORT, CONCENTRATION, BALANCE AND RHYTHM OF THE STEPS, GUIDED BY BREATH AND HEARTBEAT, MAKE THIS JOURNEY A MEDITATION IN ITSELF.
A JOURNEY SURROUNDED BY MOUNTAINS OF OVER 7,000 METERS, WITH ALL THE SAFETY AND LIGHTNESS OF BEING IN A GROUP PRODUCED, OPERATED AND ACCOMPANIED BY THE JOURNEY TO GROW, WHICH BRINGS THE NECESSARY SUPPORT IN THIS JOURNEY INTERNALLY SOLITARY.
AROUND THE CAPITAL LO MANTHANG, A WALL OF MORE THAN 6 METERS HIGH WAS BUILT, AS PROTECTION OF THE KINGDOM. TODAY, THE WALL SYMBOLICALLY PROTECTS AN ANCIENT CULTURE FROM THE INFLUENCE OF THE MODERN WORLD.
DESPITE BEING LOCATED IN NEPALESE LANDS, MUSTHANG BECAME A REFUGE FOR TIBETANS WHO ESCAPED THE CHINESE INVASION IN 1950.
ALL EXPEDITIONS IN THE REGION MUST BE AUTHORISED IN ADVANCE BY THE NEPALESE GOVERNMENT. CASUAL TOURISTS DO NOT ENTER THE KINGDOM.
Natural & Holistic Therapies
Day 01: Arrival in Kathmandu.
Reception at the airport and transfer to the hotel. We can enjoy the afternoon walking through the district of Thamel, where we find all kinds of restaurants and shops. In the evening, welcome dinner and informative talk about the trip.
Day 02: Kathmandu
Free day to rest, walk, shop and organize the last details.
Day 03: Kathmandu to Pokhara
30 minute flight around the mountain range to Pokhara, a seaside resort town with many cafes, restaurants and lively nightlife. Free afternoon with panoramic views of the Himalayas.
Day 04: Pokhara to Jomsom (flight) - Kagbeni (2800m) - 3 hours trekking (easy level)
After a breathtaking flight to Jomsom, we started the trekking to Kagbeni (2800m), the Tibetan 'fortress people', who take care of the entrance to the Upper Mustang Kingdom. Surrounded by an incredible landscape, among other mystical places, Kagbeni has one of the oldest monasteries in Nepal, with more than a thousand years. Along the way are the famous Kali Gandaki fossils, which date back 40 million years.
Day 05: Kagbeni to Chele (3100m) - 5 hours trekking (easy level)
At dawn we started the trekking, crossing the frontier of the Kingdom to Chele. In front of us, Nilgiri (7061M) welcomes us. On the way we visited Tsug Gomba Kang and Tangbe Gompa.
Day 06: Chele to Giling (3500m) - 5 hours trekking (easy level)
In Chele we started our walk to Taklam La Pass (3624m), overlooking Tilicho, Yakawa Kang and Damodar Danda. We then descend through the small villages of Samar, Syanbochen and the famous Ramchung Cave, until we reach Gieling (3510m). Along the way, we enjoy the cold Himalayan breeze with its juniper trees, which the locals use as incense to attract the deities. We also visited Shamar and the Tamagaon Gompa monastery.
Day 07: Giling to Charang (3550m) - 5 hours of trekking (easy level)
We started the day with a walk towards the Nyi La pass (3960m), passing through small villages and mountain cultures, to Ghayami, the third largest village in the Lo region. Crossing the Ghayami Khola River, the trail follows alongside Mani, a large stone wall built by Buddhists, which runs from Charang village to Tsarang Chu canyon, crossing a picturesque labyrinth of fields and houses. Before arriving at the 'tea house', where we will spend the night, we will visit some old buildings: a huge fortress temple, some stupas and the Dagmar and Tsarang monasteries.
Day 08: Charang to Lo Manthang (3800m) - 6 hours trekking (intermediate level)
That day we walked to Lo Manthang, with magnificent views over the Nilgiri, Tilicho, Annapurna I and Bhrikuti mountains. We visit the Ghar Gompa Monastery and cross the windy Chogo La cross (3850m) overlooking the valley of Lo Manthang and its majestic walled town on the hills surrounding the border with Tibet.
Day 09: Lo Manthang (3800m)
The next two days are reserved for resting and visiting Lo Manthang, the ancient and beautiful capital of the "Lost Kingdom" or Upper Mustang, which since time immemorial has kept many of its architectural structures and cultural aspects intact. In the village, we can walk through the narrow alleys and enjoy beautiful panoramic views of the Himalayan mountains; visit ancient monasteries such as Tall Lakhang Champa, Thugchen Gompa, Chyodi Gompa and the palace of Rajá, where one can even have the privilege of being received by the King. Around the fortress, we will visit, on a horseback ride, the court monastery Namgyal Gompa, the Tingkhar village and the monastery Lari Dzong Gompa.
Day 10: Lo Manthang (3800m)
We will leave Lo Manthang on horseback, letting ourselves be enveloped by the unique landscape of the Chosar Valley, very close to the current border with Tibet. Still on horseback, we will visit the ancient Tubten Gompa and Garphu Gompa monasteries, of great historical and cultural value in this region.
Day 11: Lo Manthang (3800m) to Dhi Gompa (3400m) - 5 hours trekking (easy level)
From Lo Manthang, we began the first day of our journey to Muktinath, the holy city of Buddhists and Hinduists. The trail goes straight to the Dhi cross (4100m) and then down to the village of the same name.
Day 12: Dhi Luri Gompa (3700m) - 5 hours trekking (easy level)
We left Dhi Gompa village for Luri Gompa Monastery, nailed to the mountain. We spent the night camped in the mountain, outside the monastery. On the way, we visited several stupas on the banks of the Yaragaon River.
Day 13: Luri Gompa to Tangya (3500m) - 5 hours trekking (easy level)
We go down to Dhi Khola Prefecture, then we go up to about 4000m, to go down to Tange, the place of the camp where we will spend the night. On the way, small tea houses, some stupas and old villages in the mountains.
Day 14: Tangya to Tetang (3040m) 5 hours trekking (easy level)
We left Tangya for Tetang, the highest village in Chuksang, built between two hills to avoid the strong wind that reaches the Kaligandaki River valley. The road passes through steep hills carved by the wind.
Day 15: Tetang to Muktinath (3802m) - 6 hours trekking (medium level)
The trail goes up from Tetang to the Gyu La crossroads (4077m), where we stop to rest and contemplate the beautiful panoramic view of the Annapurnas, Dhaulagiri Himal and Tukuch Range (6920m). Then we headed towards the sacred city of Muktinath, one of the most beautiful and mystical landscapes of the Himalayas. Revered by Buddhists and Hinduists, Muktinath is an important center of pilgrimage. For visitors, it is possible to enter the main temple and see the flame of the sacred fire, which does not go out, coming out of the ground.
Day 16: Muktinath to Jomson (2710m) - 7 hours of trekking (easy level) or two hours by jeep
The trail descends towards the great valley of the Kaligandaki River. This part of the trail can be done on foot or by jeep.
Day 17: Jomson to Pokhara
In the morning, we fly to Pokhara. Free afternoon by the lake: rest, coffee, massage, shopping, etc.
Day 18: Pokhara to Kathmandu
30 minutes of flight. Free afternoon for rest and shopping in Kathmandu. In the evening, we gather to toast, talk and remember our adventures at the farewell dinner.
Day 19: Transfer to Kathmandu International Airport
- 03 Nights in Kathmandu
- 13 Nights with full pension during trekking (lodges)
- 02 Nights in Pokhara
Breakfast , Lunch , Dinner
Food Types Supported
Lacto-Ovo Vegetarian, Regular (Meat, Poultry, Fish)
What is included
- 03 nights with breakfast in Kathmandu;
- 13 nights with full board during the trekking (lodges);
- 02 nights with breakfast in Pokhara;
- Private of chagada and departure in Kathmandu;
- Domestic flights Katmandu/Pokhara/Katmandu;
- Domestic flights Pokhara/Jomsom/Pokhara;
- Privative of arrival and departure in Pokhara;
- Welcome dinner and farewell;
- Trekking licenses to the Annapurna Sanctuary;
- Trekking licenses in the Upper Mustang restricted area;
- Thermal bag with hot water, if necessary, in the overnight stays in the lodges;
- Guides and porters during the trekking;
- Consultancy TO TRAVEL TO GROW before and during the trip.
What is not included
- International flights;
- Bottled drinks; alcoholic beverages and mineral water;
- Lunch and dinner during the days in Katmandu and Pokhara;
- Electronics recharges, laundry service, phone calls and other extra personal expenses;
- Tips necessary for the team (guides and porters);
- Personal travel insurance (THANKS) and medical emergency expenses;
- Visa for Nepal;
- Personal equipment needed for the trip.
Know before you go
- NO PREVIOUS EXPERIENCE IN TREKKINGS IS REQUIRED.
- THE VISA FOR THE UPPER MUSTANG PROTECTED AREA COSTS USD 500 PER PERSON FOR 10 DAYS, AND IS INCLUDED IN THE VALUE OF THE TRIP, AS WELL AS ALL OTHER NECESSARY PERMISSIONS.
- THE PROGRAM INCLUDES THE 04 INTERNAL FLIGHTS IN NEPAL. ON THE FLIGHT FROM KATMANDU TO POKHARA, IT'S 30 MIN OF A WONDERFUL HIMALAYAN VIEW. THE POKHARA FLIGHT TO JOMSOM, OFFERS THE VIEW OF ONE OF THE DEEPEST CANYONS IN THE WORLD.
- THE HOTELS IN KATMANDU AND POKHARA ARE FIVE STARS.
- OVERNIGHT STAYS, DURING THE TREKKING, ARE IN GUESTHOUSES AND IN EACH ACCOMMODATION WE WILL BE INVITED TO SIT AT THE TABLE WITH THE OWNERS. IN THE TIBETAN CULTURE THE KITCHEN IS THE CENTER OF THE HOUSE AND BUILT AS A LIVING ROOM. SO THERE IS NO BETTER WAY TO LEARN A LITTLE ABOUT THE LOCAL DAILY LIFE.
- THE FOOD INCLUDES A WIDE VARIETY OF MENUS FROM TYPICAL LOCAL DISHES TO DISHES THAT ARE CLOSE TO WESTERN COOKING.
- WE'LL HAVE ELECTRIC POWER IN MOST OF THE ACCOMMODATIONS.
- IN THE DAYS BEFORE THE TRIP, WE HELP EACH PARTICIPANT TO SELECT THE NECESSARY EQUIPMENT - PART OF IT CAN BE PURCHASED IN KATMANDU, WITH THE HELP OF OUR STAFF, FOR MORE AFFORDABLE PRICES .
- THIS CIRCUIT HAS MODERATE DIFFICULTY, WITH AN AVERAGE OF 5H OF DAILY WALKS, REACHING A MAXIMUM ALTITUDE OF 4100M.
- THE TEMPERATURE MAY BETWEEN 15oC AND 22oC DURING THE DAY AND NIGHT BETWEEN -5oC AND 5oC .
- THERE ARE POSSIBILITIES OF STRONG WINDS, RAIN AND SNOW ON THE WAY.
- THE WHOLE CIRCUIT IS ACCOMPANIED BY GUIDES AND CHARGERS. EACH MEMBER OF THE GROUP CARRIES A SMALL BACKPACK, ONLY WITH HIS PERSONAL BELONGINGS LIKE CAMERA, RAIN PROTECTION, WATER, ETC.
How to get there
- Tribhuvan International Airport Point of Departure
The rest of the payment should be made on arrival
|Activity ||General |